The Department of Epidemiology at the High Institute of Public Health contributes to the health and well-being of population in Egypt and other countries through:
- Research: related to the different health issues including communicable and non-communicable diseases, and psychosocial sciences.
- Teaching: providing postgraduate degree programs namely Diploma, Master and Doctorate degrees in Public Health and Public Health Sciences majoring Epidemiology.
- Training of public health practitioners and researchers on surveillance and outbreak investigations, infection control, research methods, epidemiologic modeling, injury prevention and control and other fields.
The department also has a role in providing professional services, expertise and consultancy required for health policy development and decision making.
- Surveillance and epidemiological investigation in Ministries of Health.
- Infection control in Ministries of Health, hospitals and health care centers.
- Investigation analysis of health status, surveillance, prioritization, designing and implementing of interventional programs, monitoring, and evaluation in Ministries of Health.
- Research and prevention and control centers for communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Some international organizations such as the World Health Organization and UNICEF.
- Some non-governmental organizations such as Médecins Sans Frontières.