deans3

The High Institute of Public Health(HIPH) Alexandria, was founded in 1956 by the Egyptian Ministry of Health (MOH) to overcome the observed deficiency in postgraduate education and training in the different fields of public health.

The main purpose of the institute was to support the health care system in Egypt and other countries in the Middle East with health professionals who have sufficient knowledge and skills to carry out the health development process effectively and efficiently.

In 1963, the affiliation of the institute was transferred to the University of Alexandria to become the first postgraduate institute specialized in public health in the Eastern Mediterranean Region.

The High Institute of Public Health has always received strong support from the Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO/EMRO). Therefore, the relationship between the HIPH and WHO has enhanced significantly many fields including degree-education, non-degree-education, technical consultation, research and community service.

In addition, the first issue of Journal of High Institute of Public Health was published in 1970, which is a scientific peer reviewed journal publishing original and review research articles in all areas of public health. In recognition it has been indexed in the WHO Eastern Mediterranean Index Medicus.